Thursday, July 24, 2014

Take 2 (Greenstyle Taylor)

Hi!  So today I am going to show you my take 2 on the   Greenstyle Taylors!  In a previous post, I got so excited that I didn't try  the pattern out first and used my expensive linen to have an end result full of mistakes...all of which were completely my fault.  I was all set to go again right away but the fabric I thought I was going to use turned out to look a little bit different then I remembered so I waited.



You'll have to forgive the no make-up, I never wear a lot anyway, but hey atleast I brushed my hair!  And my little Smokey there, isn't he a doll!  This pair was made with no mistakes.  I actually can follow a pattern and cut one correctly some days...well to be honest most days, but it's fun to share the bad days and I hope that my mistakes maybe help some of you.

These are still the size 8.  I ended up adjusting the back pleats A LOT, which in turn made my pockets pucker, so keep in mind that when the pattern says you can adjust the back pleat another 1/4 inch do just that, no more, I think the next step should've been to take a little bit out of my side seams.  Actually I think next pair I will cut the top in at an angle a bit as I'm not sure a 6 is an option for myself and my behind!


See, it's still pretty big, but I love the way these shorts fit!
Once again I made mine with a custom length, I cut for the 5 inch inseam and then just fold them up until they feel right and hem them, this pair I think may be a little bit shorter then the last, but still more then the 2, probably about 3.  The fly still feels a little bit small to me, as in it doesn't cover my zipper pull well, and I thought that was some of my doing last time, but I took extra, extra care with it this time...actually even sewing into my zipper a little bit so that I had to pick it all out so my zipper was functional...but I said I made these mistake free didn't I :)  No major ones anyway! But the pull stays covered all the time, just not as much as my jeans do so I can live with it I think and I still love my Greenstyle Taylor shorts.

A funny thing I also noticed this time when sewing, my fly is done the opposite of the last pair and opposite of my store bought shorts.  With the linen pair, as far as I could tell with that fabric there really wasn't a right or wrong side and I just looked at photos on the pattern and did what they did but I do remember being a little bit confused...this time I READ really well and just followed text and disregarded the pictures that are labeled right and left because that's not what my right and left were...I ended up with the fly done backwards, but that's ok, they are mine...maybe I just don't know my right from my left, who knows!  I think I will ask for a little help again in the Greenstyle Creations Pattern Group ( you will have to ask to join).  After my last try I got detailed help and ended up figuring out that it was my pocket mistake that caused the huge size problem.  They are really great over there, I would definitely advise joining before you ever begin to sew these shorts or any pattern for that matter from any PDF designer, if they have a group join it as it will be your best resource for help!

Anyway I'm going to sign off for the day and see if I can fix my embroidery mess...I purchased some awesome appliques and ofcourse have to use a different size for each of my boys to make them matching shirts and one of the files was corrupt so the big shirt is only halfway stitched and I have an upset boy now!  Time to go see what I can do about it!

Thanks for spending a little bit of time with me today and go check out Greenstyle Taylor Shorts, I swear you will love them!



UPDATE:

And it didn't take very long, for my fly problem I did ask over in the group and I was told that it's referring to how your shorts will be worn, whatever side will be on your right hip is the right side and vise versa...hope that helps anyone else who is silly like me and gets stuck on the small things!!!
   


No comments:

Post a Comment