Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Little Summer Fun! (CKC Delilah's)

Hey guys, I mentioned a couple days ago that I had a couple little swim suits cut out and waiting, well guess what, I finished them!  Not that my serger was very much help and a random fuzzy thing fell out of my sewing machine...oh my...I kept using it...not sure if I should've!


Aren't they cute?  You see we bought season passes for Seaworld and we have only been ONCE!  The kids are begging to go back, my husband's dad has an apartment down there for work sew we stayed there last time...double duty...a little Big Mac time and Seaworld.  We have sew got to go again.  Last time we only watched most of the shows, the kids were begging to play in the water sew we promised we would center the next trip around that. I had been looking for cute "fish" fabric, I even ended up with a remnant from somewhere, but one day when browsing the fabric selection at Wal-mart guess what I found...this adorable octopus seersucker.  I'm not really sure they have octopi at Sea World, but it's sea life, whatever works right? Oh and get this, it was less then $4, that's right...Wal-mart can hold some hidden gems, sometimes their fabric is thin and whatnot, but I have even scored Tutti Frutti there and then found it at Hancocks for double what I paid and 60" Cowboys print in the remnant bin...enough to make 2 peasant dresses! Sew, my point is to definitely take a gander when you have time!

Anyway, I'm sure your all dying to know what pattern this is, right?  CKC Delilah's Cotton Swimsuit.  I thought this in particular would be awesome for something like Seaworld, she can wear it there and play in the water and since it is made from seer sucker she should dry off pretty quickly in the sun and hopefully not have to change to go back to the hotel or Big Mac's apartment...where ever we end up staying.  It's also perfect for all the little splash pads around! It is made from woven type fabric so being in the chlorinated pool all summer may not be the best idea for it...so I've heard...but I think it's ideal for playing in parks.


She sure is cute, but she was NOT being cooperative yesterday about photos...do you think that has ANYTHING to do with the fact that she's 2...on the porch AKA Daddy's lumber storage...that's as far as she would go.  The kids love that though, they build all sorts of things with the pieces they can pick up. If you look at the pattern, you will see that mine with the long ruffle and the pictures are different...my fault...you can't just look at a photo and think that's what your going to get, although that's what I always do.  I checked the measurement for the finished length of the top and it is 8.5" for the 3T and ours is about 8.75", ofcourse I didn't think to check that and measure BEFORE I made the top sew we have a pretty little bellybutton shining.  That's actually probably not that huge of a deal for Gracie, but you saw that I made 2, she has a cousin that is 3 weeks younger then her named Emma, that is another of my embroidery fails...the pink didn't shine as much as I had hoped on the blue, still learning, but the other little outfit says her name.  She is 4 or 5 inches shorter then Gracie, she's not short, Gracie is TALL, I made her the 2T, but I don't think her mom will be very fond of her bellybutton showing, so I'm going to have to rethink that one a little bit..another ruffle...maybe...I'm not sure yet!


That's probably the best photo I got of the back, it has 2 button holes that the straps go through, I had to tie ours in the middle because it was a little bit big on her, but once again that's my fault.  I learned a little while back that her chest measures for an 18 mo or 2T.  I had never looked at that either and I applied to test for Foo Foo Threads, ofcourse sending Gracie's measurements and she advised me where she measured at on the charts, I follow the measurement now for knit tops but I keep with the 3T for woven things so that nothing is too tight, sometimes with elastic in the back especially they can be too tight for Miss Gracie's liking.  There was no measurement chart for the child on this pattern but measurements for the finished garment which I didn't check, lol, but tying in the middle makes it fit just fine.  I have to admit I was unhappy with the length when I finished but the more I look at it the cuter it becomes and I learned a lesson, simply because the photograph shows it fitting a certain way that does not mean it will fit your child that way...pay attention to those measurements! 

Have we talked about the button holes.  OH how I despise button holes.  I remember when I first got the cheap little Brother machine, one of the first things I did was make a button hole...easy as pie.  But I wasn't very easy on that machine, rag quilt after rag quilt after rag quilt...don't worry...I have a couple baby cousins to make for, you'll be seeing some of those in the near future.  Anyway I don't think that little machine was meant for all that, it was just giving me fits and then the light went out.  My mom, now, my mom knows how to sew, I didn't learn from her though, I remember she tried to teach me once when I was a child, but no sirree, I was not into that, so I learned at 25 or 26 years old.  She had a Brother machine, but it hadn't been touched in sew many years that when she decided to make my little sister's wedding dress last year she just went to Wal-mart and bought a new Singer...why in the world she ever chose a Singer without talking to me first I do NOT know, I am a part of enough sewing groups to know that Singers aren't what they used to be.  But when my light went out, my Daddy told me to go and get her new machine because she would never touch it again, and then she ended up giving it to me.  I haven't for the life of me been able to figure out a button hole on that thing.  I get the manual out everytime and end up just doing it my own way.  the foot sits on it crooked so if you are not VERY careful, you have a crooked hole...good thing all the extra stitches I didn't wanna pick out don't really show on that top.  On the second suit it finally decided to go over and over and over on one side and then barely zig zag the other side and it barely zig zagged the second hole.  I think from now on I'll have to get that old Brother out to do my button holes with.


I just love reflection photos, she was kissing herself.  Anyway thank you all for spending a little time with me today.  I hope this precious fabric and adorable little pattern gave you some inspiration.  CKC Delilah's is a cute little addition for every little girls summer wardrobe, I would just advise you to pay attention to those measurements and add some length to either your ruffle or your bodice if you don't want a pretty little button poking out there for the world to see and I never did mention, the pattern includes measurements for a shorter ruffle as well and you can do elastic casings on the legs instead of shirring, I know alot of people fear the shirr, but it's always been easy for me...I think you should all just try it.




Now I'm off to work on my linen shorts and learn about zippers before my testing duties call again, we all deserve selfish sewing, if you haven't given it a shot I wold advise you to do so.  Momma Duck is sewing for herself today!



July 14th, 2014


I wanted to come back and add this photo for you all, to show that the 2T did in fact fit the way I had imagined from the pattern's photo that they should fit.  There wasn't a thing in the world wrong with this pattern, I just have a super tall little darling on my hands and this is the first little top we made that didn't have enough length to make up for her long torso....pay attention to the finished measurements.  This is our sweet little niece looking precious in her CKC Delilah's Cotton Swim Suit




No comments:

Post a Comment