Friday, August 15, 2014

Lumberjack Shirt (Patterns for Pirates)

Hi, everyone, how have you been?  I've been being a little bit lazy as far as my sewing machine goes, but I have been anxiously awaiting to share this with you all since I was chosen to be part of the test!



This is the (Lumberjack shirt) by Patterns For Pirates.  The pattern won't be released until August 22nd as part of Pattern Revolution's boys bundle which will run from August 22nd-29th.  I will try and keep these links updated with current information as it all comes out, but I just could not wait any longer to share this!

My last post was Aiden's new pencil pouch and I told you all that he loved camo so once again I used it, I actually think I made this first though :)

This shirt is actually designed to be made with flannel, but as I didn't have any on hand I kinda borrowed the idea about the camouflage from another tester.  She used a white and blue camo and immediately upon seeing it I knew what our shirt was going to be made from!

Miss Judy needed some testers to do the lined, hooded version so I decided to go for it and make ours into a jacket.  I had just received some orange jersey that I ordered from Purple Seamstress Fabric for baseball shirts that ended up being the perfect compliment to the Max 4 camouflage that I already had on hand, I think it was purchased from Ebay a while back...I need to stock up again...it's pretty popular in this house.


Here he is with the hood on.  You have to keep in mind it was probably close to 100 degrees the day we took these photos...poor kid!  I wanted to actually have him go into the deer stand BUT wasps/bees/snakes/spiders....it's summer time here in Texas so we just chose to stand in front of it for safety sake!  I think this will be an awesome jacket for him to wear hunting though...he has the bright orange hood and sleeves that can show while he is walking to and from the stand with Dad.  I honestly cant wait for it to get cold enough for him to wear it!

The plackets and cuffs on this shirt were incredibly easy for me.  I plan on doing this jacket again in a smaller size as is as well as making a couple flannel shirts for the boys this winter. I KNOW that this pattern will be used over and over and over again! 


I was a little bit uncertain about my choice of buttons, but in the end I love the orange, it just gives it a little bit more POP!  For the pocket I used the orange jersey as well, but I put interfacing on the back of it and lined it with the camouflage too so that it would have some strength to it.  One of the really fun things about the (lumberjack shirt) is that it is so customizable, you can do 1 pocket, 2 pockets, no pocket, hood, lined hood, collar, snaps, buttons, lined or not lined...the list goes on as I'm sure I probably left something out.  I simply love it, and better yet Aiden does too.  We are all about Ducks around here so I decided to applique the Ducks Unlimited logo on it for him, while I was looking for it I found one mingled into Texas.  That was absolutely perfect.  The way I do that when I just want to use my regular machine is to print the photo in the scale I will need, cut it and then use it on the fabric for my pattern.  I decided it would be ok to just leave these edges raw so that they will rag so I just stitched right along the center of the design.


Now my big boy is all set to go hunting with Dad, in style, and be warm and SEEN too.  He will probably just end up wearing it to school mostly, in truth, but I bet no other little boy has a jacket like this, made by mom to top it off!

Thanks for taking time to share this awesome new shirt with me and be sure to take the time to check out Patterns for Pirates and let her know how much you love the (lumberjack shirt) and don't forget to keep up with  Pattern Revolution too! They have already had 2 pretty awesome bundles this year and now they are doing the Boys Bundle, which from what I have seen so far is something to look forward to, I know there are a couple patterns there that are must haves for us.  They also have a blog about the (lumberjack shirt) as well!



 

Happy Sewing!









1 comment:

  1. Fabulous, I love the idea of turning it into a jacket. Wonderful job, nothing like a happy recipient as an end result.

    ReplyDelete